Chickpea Spinach Curry vs. Drunk Germans

Today I decided to finally make a nice and nutritious chickpea curry. So, after much forethought to put the beans to soak the night before and many hours of watching the pot and chopping ingredients, I had a very yummy curry with which I was quite pleased.

  • 3 coarsely chopped onions
  • 1 head of garlic, grated
  • 2" of fresh ginger, grated
  • 3 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 2 teaspoon garam masala
  • 3 dry cups of chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked
  • 4 chopped tomatoes (I usually would have used canned, but I had some tomatoes that I'd bought off of the clearance cart and they needed to be used before they went mouldy)
  • 1 red shepherd pepper, minced (also a super cheap clearance cart purchase)
  • 2 packages of frozen spinach
  • 1 tin of tomato paste
  • 2 cup water
  • pinch salt

  • I had Rebecca over for dinner and tea again tonight. Nothing eases a broken heart like vegetable curry and tea with biscuits, so I foresee a lot more meals like this. It seems all of my friends are either getting married or breaking up, and both seem to require a lot of messaging each other about boys and cooking. 

  • We both loved my new curry recipe, and I was really excited to put most of this batch away in the freezer to bring out during midterms. However, Rebecca and I decided to go for a walk while the pot cooled down and when I came back a couple hours later, the pot was half empty.
  • Turns out that in the short time I was gone, one of my roommates decided to have "a few mates 'round for pre-drinks". This ended up spiralling into at least a couple dozen exchange students having a full-on  house party while the rest of us were out studying at the library or exercising. 

  • I came home to Erin and Enoch doing damage control and a drunk German girl licking the ladle of my curry:
  • Drunk girl: Who made this chicken-pea thing? Is very good! Yum!
  • Me: Umm, that's mine...
  • Drunk girl: What's in it? Chicken-peas and coriander?
  • Me: Actually it's chickpeas and spinach with tomato with curry powder and garam masala but why are you...
  • Drunk girl: So tasty! It smells so good! Mmmm-ymm.

  • Yeah, so that happened. Now I'm at a loss of what to do with the rest of the batch. I'm not particularly thrilled about eating something with the slobber of multiple strangers in it, but I'm annoyed at the thought of that much food going to waste. 
  • *le sigh*
At least Ophelia wasn't hurt when the drunks went through our rooms...

No comments:

Post a Comment